Cord Blood Banking FAQs
What is Cord Blood Banking?
Cord blood banking involves collecting the blood from your newborn baby’s umbilical cord in a simple, safe, and painless procedure that usually takes less than five minutes which is done right after the birth, once the umbilical cord is clamped and cut. The collected cord blood sample is then sent to the laboratory, undergoes processing and then frozen in cryogenic storage tanks for long-term preservation of 20 years and more.
What are the cord blood banking options?
Cells4Life offers the following cord blood banking services to expectant parents:
- Platinum Service – also known as Whole cord blood storage and it involves storing the whole umbilical cord blood sample which captures all cell types present in the cord blood. Learn more >>
- Gold Service – also known as Volume-reduced cord blood storage which is similar to what many other cord blood storage providers in the Middle East offer, but using a different and more advanced cell processing technology called the AXP. Learn more >>
- Cord Tissue – the piece of umbilical cord can also be preserved in addition with the cord blood sample. This service is available as an add-on service for both Platinum Service and Gold Service. Learn more >>
What payment options are available?
You have an option to pay via cash, cheque (for installment plans please contact us), bank transfer or credit card.
How does cord blood banking work?
- Review, follow-up and sign the Storage Agreement.
- Pay the initial deposit and collect your Cells4Life cord blood kit.
- Advise your doctor/midwife that you want to collect your baby’s cord blood.
- Bring your cord blood kit to the hospital on the day of your delivery.
- Once the doctor/midwife is done collecting the cord blood sample call your Cells4Life representative.
- The Cells4Life representative will help you book for courier pick up.
- Once the cord blood sample reaches the lab, it will be processed immediately.
- After 2-3 days, you will receive a report of the initial cord blood sample testing via SMS & email.
- After 4-6 weeks, your official Testing Certificate, detailing the full results of cord blood sample testing will be sent to you.
- Your cord blood sample will remain at the Cells4Life storage labs in the UK until require for use.
* You will receive email update once a month about the latest stem cell news and other valuable information.
How long can I store my baby’s cord blood sample?
Cells4Life uses a cutting-edge technology to maximise the lifespan of umbilical cord blood and tissue in storage. Samples are processed quickly using automated technology, then stored in multiple locations for added security.
We offer 20, 25 and 30 years storage plan for all cord blood banking services >>
Find out how long you should save your baby’s cord blood sample >>
Find out what you should do after your cord blood storage term is finished >>
Existing Cells4Life customers who signed up for 20 or 25 years can now extend their storage for 5 more years! Learn more >>