If you are an expecting parent looking for more information about cord blood banking, you might have heard or read about public and private cord blood banking. It would be a bit overwhelming if this is your first time researching about such topics. This article will explain the differences between public cord blood donation and private cord blood banking.
Donating Cord Blood in a Public Bank
Public cord blood banks accept cord blood donations from healthy pregnancies and use them to save the life of patients needing a cord blood transplant. The donated cord blood samples can be used by any patient as long as it is a match. To donate a cord blood sample, you will need to find a hospital that accepts donations or a public bank to assist you on the process. One of the most popular public banks is Bethematch.org (located in the USA).
Donating your baby’s cord blood sample is free but once it is collected, you will have no access to the sample donated as it will be owned by the public bank already. Parents no longer have the right over their baby’s cord blood, and one can’t say much if the same baby will get his hands on his own cord blood in the future or not.
Private Cord Blood Banking
Saving the cord blood with a private bank, also known as private cord blood banking, allows you to preserve your newborn baby’s cord blood sample in a company-owned cord blood bank so that it will only be for your baby and your whole family’s exclusive use. One advantage of storing the cord blood privately is that if your baby or one of your family members requires a cord blood transplant in the future, the sample is available immediately for treatment.
Why Parents Save the Cord Blood Privately
- Family history of disease
- Recommended by the doctor
- Ethnic minority / mixed race
- To prepare for a healthy future
Read related article: Why save the cord blood even if you’re from a healthy family background?
WATCH VIDEO: WHY SAVE THE CORD BLOOD AT BIRTH
Private cord blood banking with Cells4Life allows you the following cord blood storage options:
- CellsPlus – uses our unique and patented blood processing technology called TotiCyte. It provides up to 3 times more viable stem cells at the point of treatment than other similar processing technologies in the UK.
- Whole Cord Blood – stores the whole cord blood sample and captures all cell types present in the cord blood, as well as hormones and growth factors.
- Volume-Reduced – stores the maximum number of HSCs (Hematopoietic Stem Cells) within the cord blood.
In addition to cord blood storage services, we also provide the following:
- Cord Tissue Banking – stores a piece of the umbilical cord which is also rich in MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells) as well as other types of cells not found in the cord blood.
- Placenta Banking – stores the chorionic villi which are rich in regenerative cells.
- Amnion Banking – stores the amnion found in the inner layer of the placenta which are rich in healing components, collagen and more.
WATCH VIDEO: CELLS4LIFE CORD BLOOD BANKING SERVICES
The process of private cord blood banking is simple, painless, and safe for both the mother and baby. Collecting the cord blood, as well as other components like cord tissue and placenta, is done after birth, when the umbilical cord is detached from the baby.
WATCH VIDEO: HOW CORD BLOOD BANKING WORKS
Want to learn more about how to store your newborn baby’s cord blood sample privately? Download FREE Cord Blood Info Pack or contact one of our specialists – 04 3116613.
Read more useful articles:
Simple Guide to Cord Blood Banking for Expecting Parents
8 Questions to Ask the Cord Blood Banking Specialist
The Importance of Choosing the Right Cord Blood Bank